Thursday, June 11, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TRUETT!

I could almost break down as I type this because today is Truett's 3rd birthday and I really can't believe that it's been 3 years already! I remember when Jay and I found out we were pregnant. We couldn't believe that we were actually entering into the next phase in our lives.

Truett - 1 year old

Truett - 2 years old

Truett - 3 years old

Truett is such a great kid. Now, he definitely had his 'two-year-old' moments, and I'm sure the 3-year-old moments aren't going to be any less challenging, but all-in-all, Truett is a neat kid. He's funny, really smart, and very sweet and caring.

Some of the things he's into right now:

- Thomas the Train: Definitely NOT my favorite. The shows are BORING and the trains always seem to be mad at each other. Not to mention that I'm pretty much over picking up 101 train tracks, train cars, etc....The one thing that I do think it so cute about his obsession with Thomas is that he gets so excited to see trains in real life. My parents have a railroad track behind the alley in the back of their house and if we happen to be there when a train passes, Truett says, "Hey, Thomas!!"

- Cars (the movie): He phases in and out with this one, but all in all, he LOVES it. He thinks Lightening McQueen is so awesome and when he's playing, he likes to call himself 'Lightening McQueen'. Of course, whoever he's playing with has to be Tow Mater. John and my dad get a kick out of telling Truett that HE'S Tow Mater and THEY'RE Lightening McQueen. There's only been one time that he's ever agreed to let someone else be Lightening McQueen....We were leaving my parents' house one night and my mom was putting Truett in the car. She kissed him goodnight and when she was going to close the door, Truett said, "LeeLa! YOU'RE Lightening McQueen and I'M Tow Mater!" Needless to say, it made her night! :)

-Handy Manny: This has got to be one of my favorite things that he's in to, for several reasons. 1. I truly believe, with all my heart, that Handy Manny is THE reason that Truett is potty trained! We saw Manny on the shelves of WalMart while shopping for a gift for a friend and that was IT....Truett was bound and determined to use the potty so that he could bring Manny home. To this day, his Handy Manny tool set it THE ONLY toy that he has every single piece to and can tell you where that are at any given moment.
2. The show is pretty cute, encourages team work, and also teaches Spanish words. Me gusta! :)
3. My final reason for really enjoying the fact that Truett gets a kick out of Handy Manny is because I'm convinced the REASON he loves him is due to the fact that he sees Jay with his tools and toolbox, fixing things and working on things. I love so much that Truett looks up to Jay and that Jay sets such a great example for Truett to follow.

-Books: Truett LOVES to read books and to be read to. He's really excited because now he gets THREE books at bedtime instead of just TWO! Right now, his favorite book to read is Martha Blah Blah about a dog named Martha who eats alphabet soup everyday and is able to talk because the letters from the soup go to her brain. :) His all time favorite book is The Little Engine That Could (about trains!). His Papaw gave it to Truett as a gift and he loves reading it. He has every word memorized, which makes it fun for me to read with him because I'll start the sentence and he'll finish it. He even knows when to turn the page! :) Another thing that I think is pretty neat is the fact that within the past few weeks, Truett has started to make the connection that the letters on the pages of books make up words. He told me the other night that I needed to read a book to him because he didn't know how to read the words on the page. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe it's a sign that he'll be an early reader!

Truett is so curious about everything and wants to do everything by himself. He has definitely proven to be our more independent child which sometimes has its benefits, but can also lead to grey hairs! For example, a few weeks ago, he decided to try to microwave his own popcorn. He used Emma's Exersaucer to climb up on to the kitchen counter, walked across the counter to the microwave above the stove, put the bag of popcorn (still in the plastic wrapper) in the microwave, closed the door, pushed whatever buttons, and started the microwave!

He ADORES his little sister and it totally makes my heart smile to see them together. I hope and pray that he will continue to be so protective of her as they get older.

Truett amazes us on a daily basis and it has been so much fun watching him learn and grown into the little person that he has. He is the one who changed Jay and I from a couple to a family and I feel so blessed to be his mom.

Happy Birthday, Truett! We love you so much!!!

post signature

No comments: