Sunday, January 4, 2009

Get Me to the Church on Time!

Yesterday was such a special day for our family...Emma was baptized!!

When Truett was baptized, we chose my brother, John, and my sister, Sarah, to be his godparents. So, when we found out that I was pregnant with Emma, Jay and I started thinking about who we were going to ask to be her godparents. We already knew that we wanted Emily to be her godmother, but didn't know who we were going to pick to be her godfather.

***Side note alert***
When I was growing up, my mom's older brother, Ben, and his wife, Mollie, were like second parents to me. I'd spend the night at their house, they'd babysit if my mom went out of town...I even stayed with them when Emily was born.

When I was 10 years old, they had their own child, Benjamin. I would go over to my aunt and uncle's house and play with Benjamin all day long. I used to think it was so great because Aunt Mollie would pay me $20 to stay at her house and play with Benjamin while she cleaned the house, did laundry, etc... I think it's safe to say that Aunt Mollie was my first official baby-sitting client! :)

***End of side note*** :)

One day, while we were discussing godparents, Jay mentioned Benjamin's name. Immediately we agreed that he would be the perfect choice! I called Benjamin and asked if he would be Emma's godfather and he was more than happy to accept.

So, this weekend, Benjamin and Aunt Mollie came to Dallas for Emma's christening (Uncle Ben was sick). Sarah and I went to pick them up from the airport and we all headed back to my parents' house for dinner.

When we got there, Benjamin and Aunt Mollie gave Emma a sweet pin that says, "Godchild" and the most gorgeous little handmade dress.

The next morning, we got dressed and headed to the church. Emma wore a baptism gown that was passed down from me, to Emily, to Sarah, to John, and then to Truett. She looked absolutely beautiful...like a little doll. We all arrived a little early so that we could take pictures before the ceremony and get a seat up front, since it wasn't going to be a private baptism (or so we thought!). Jay's mom and dad, brother and nephew, along with my family, were all there. Emily gave Emma her first rosary, which we had blessed by Msgr., along with the pin Benjamin had given her.

While we were all there taking pictures, we noticed that we were the ONLY people there. Initially, we didn't think much about it, because we were a little early, so we thought people would start trickling in at any minute. Then, a few minutes later, Monsignor Duesman walks up and asks which priest was supposed to be performing the baptism! Apparently there was a communication breakdown in the office and there were no baptisms on the schedule for yesterday!

Long story short (perhaps it's already too late for that..hahah!) Msgr. Duesman performed the ceremony and we ended up having a private baptism for Emma.

With the exception of the significance itself, the ceremony was pretty uneventful...nothing like Truett's when he spit his pacifier out in the font of holy water when Msgr. poured the water over his head to baptize him! :) Even Truett was pretty 'low key' during the ceremony...or so I thought!
After the ceremony, we headed back to my mom's house for a celebration lunch. I changed Emma into her sweet 'party dress' that Aunt Mollie had bought for her and it was so precious!
Jay made a HUGE pot of chili and we had cake for dessert.
It was such a wonderful day...one that we were so happy to share with our families.

Aunt Mollie - Thank you so much for making the trip to Dallas. We always love hanging out with you because you know how to make things so special. Thank you for being here to celebrate with us and for the sweet and precious dress you gave to Emma. It is definitely a dress that will treasured!
Nannie Em and Paran Benjamin, thank you both for accepting this big responsibility. We know that you will always guide Emma and steer her in the right direction. We love you both so very much and are so proud to call you Emma's godparents. She is one lucky little lady!

post signature

No comments: