Monday, July 13, 2009

A Camping We Will Go!

Truett has been on this 'Let's Go Camping' trip lately. Now, for those of you who know me, know that this child is barking up the WRONG tree if he's expecting ME to jumb on that bandwagon with him. I am so anti-outdoors unless there's a pool and fruity drinks!!! But, for the past couple of weeks, Truett has continued to mention going camping and wanting Jay to take him camping. So, this past weekend, Jay decided we were all going to go camping.

After breakfast on Saturday morning, we all took a trip to Academy to pick out a tent for our camping adventure. (I know...I was AMAZED that Jay didn't already have a tent, too!) After an hour or so in the store, we left with our tent (and SEVERAL other items) and headed to the campsite.

I guess I forgot to mention that the 'campground' was our living room? Yeah...you don't think I'm going camping in the HEAT? It was pretty hysterical! The tent, no kidding, almost filled up our entire living room. This picture doesn't even do it justice!

Anyway, Jay set up the tent, complete with sleeping bags, camping chairs, and an air mattress.
Here's Truett giving me the 'tour' of the tent

Emma exploring the camp grounds

My Happy Campers!

Nugs came along to scare away any dangerous wildlife

You always see a bear when you go camping, right?

And what camping trip is complete without S'MORES???? Jay was going to light the fireplace so we could roast marshmallows but Truett didn't want to wait. He didn't want to (as he put it) 'cook his smarshmallows'.

As the three of us laid in the tent (Emma was in her crib...still too young to 'brave the elements' (a.k.a. sleep next to Truett)), in the air conditioned house, watching TV, I told Jay that we had officially ruined camping for Truett. I mean, seriously....when the kid goes camping out in the wilderness for the first time, he's going to think it sucks just as much as I do!!!! :) Not to mention the fact that we didn't actually sleep in the tent.

Truett is one of those kiddos who will stay awake talking and playing if there is someone else in the bed with him....just ask Sarah and John! :) So, after about an hour of trying to get him to settle down, we finally put him in his bed, which was a relief to me because I wasn't too keen on the idea of sleeping on the floor anyway, air mattress or no air mattress!

So, we kept the tent up for one more day so Truett could play and hang out, but the thing was so big, we had to take it down. Jay found a MUCH smaller tent in the garage that was the perfect size for Truett (I KNEW he had a tent! I guess it wasn't a big, manly tent). We set it up in his room last night, and he slept in it all night long. I guess once the weather is cooler, we'll take him on a real camping trip. Maybe Jay and Truett can make it a guys' weekend and Emma and I can stay behind! :)
post signature

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My kind of camping! How fun.