Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears...OH MY!

This year for Halloween, I decided to dress Truett and Emma as the Scarecrow and Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz (of course, Nugs was to be Toto). I thought a scarecrow costume would be pretty easy to do and would be a 'weather friendly' costume (last year, Truett was a spider and almost had to go as an amputee spider because the warm weather ALMOST wasn't condusive for a long-sleeved black shirt!)


Anyway, I want to start by saying that whoever created the tie-on, 'scarecrow straw' is my new best friend and I think $6.99 is WAY too cheap for such a convenient item! I went to Party City weeks ago to try to find a grass skirt that I could doctor up and sew into Truett's costume to make him appear to be stuffed with straw. I almost started crying tears of joy in the store when I saw this perfectly packaged bag of tie-on pieces that go around the neck, the wrists and the ankles...I LOVE YOU, WHOEVER YOU ARE! :)



Back to Halloween night...When John and Sarah were 'trick-or-treating' age, my parents would walk around the neighborhood with them and Emily and I would stay at my mom's to pass out candy. A few years ago, it changed slightly and now it seems that my parents' house is the "one-stop-shopping" house on the block. All of the neighbors come over with their buckets of candy, lawn chairs, appetizers, and drinks and we all sit in the yard visiting while the rest of the neighborhood kiddos come by and get their candy.
A group shot of my mom's yard with all the neighbors...
The 102nd Dalmatian and Dorothy...There's no place like LeeLa's!

So, the afternoon of Halloween, I loaded up all (and I mean ALL) of Truett and Emma's "stuff" (for the G-rated version) and head to my mom's house. I got Truett and Emma dressed and ready in their costumes and we headed to a neighbor's house for a Halloweenie Roast before trick-or-treating began. Truett had so much fun running around with the other kids and it was all we could do to try to get a picture of him! Emma on the other hand...never moved an inch!
Truett is already showing signs of following in Jay's footsteps. Here he is using the bottled water to water the flowers in the the flower bed of the playhouse.
Here is my sorry attempt to try to get a picture of Truett while he was standing still. He caught on quickly and this is the shot I got!
Another failed attempt on my part to get a good picture of Truett in his costume! :)
Unfortunately, the Halloweenie Roast was the end of Halloween for Emma and I. Once we got back to my mom's, it was time for me to feed Emma (which takes about an hour from start to finish) so Jay and Truett went out trick-or-treating without Emma and I (no pictures!). When they came back, Truett could hardly stand it! He was so excited about the candy he had gotten and couldn't wait to show it to me. He spent the rest of the night running around the yard, playing with the neighborhood kids and eating candy. I'm already looking forward to next year so that Emma and I can join in on the fun, too!

Truett taking inventory of his candy!
post signature

No comments: