Sunday, November 30, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree

Our Thanksgiving seemed pretty quick, given the fact that Jay woke up at 5:30 Friday morning to get up to go to work. I was really hoping to have just one day for us with the kids, but... Imagine my excitement when Jay called later that morning to say he was coming home! :) It had started raining pretty hard so his guys were unable to hang Christmas lights. God is good!

Anyway, when Jay got home, we decided it would be a perfect time to put up our new Christmas tree. Jay got into the attic and pulled down all of the decorations. Truett was in awe of it all. He kept asking, "Is that for me? Is it? Is it? Is it?" He wanted to touch and hold and play with everything. He was pretty quick to put his own personal touch on things, too.

Truett got out the condiment ramikins and placed them on the snowmen's noses
Once Jay set up the tree, he started unwrapping the ornaments.

The before photo

It's always so great unwrapping the ornaments each year. My mom started a tradition when I was born and each year for Christmas, she buys her kids a Christmas tree ornament. Then, when Jay and I got married, she bought us the angel for the top of our tree. That way, as newlyweds on our frst Christmas, we had ornaments for our first tree.

I really love our tree because there's not really a 'theme' but each ornament is special.

My "Baby's First Christmas" ornament from 1977

The cross-stitched ornament from 1982 that my mom made


A Jimminy Cricket ornament my mom bought for me one year in Disney World
Truett's first Christmas ornament

Now our tree is also adorned with ornaments that Truett made for us last year at school.
Truett helped me decorate the tree and he actually did a pretty good job. At first, he kept putting ornaments on the same branch, but once I told him to put the ornaments in empty spots, he started getting the hang of it.

While we were decorating, I noticed Truett had put all of his Sesame Street ornaments on the same branch, so I spread them out. We continued to decorate the tree and a little while later, I noticed that the Ernie, Cookie Monster, Elmo and Big Bird had somehow found their way back to each other. I guess Truett had decided that they looked best that way.

The after photo

Looks like the Christmas season is officially here!

post signature

No comments: