Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Let's Do Shots!

Emma had her 2 month check up this afternoon. It amazes me how much I have forgotten since Truett was a baby. When I was pregnant with him, I probably could have passed the State Board test for an OB and pediatrician with all the information I read up on. It kills me that I haven't retained ONE BIT OF IT! So, now when it comes to doctor appointments, I just show up when they tell me to. I figure that a routine visit is just that...routine. No need for me to know all the details about what they're going to do. I have to admit, though, it is a little embarrassing when the nurse is flipping through her charts and asks, "Okay, so what are we here for today?" and I just stare at her like I deer caught in headlights. :)

Anyway, this afternoon while Truett was at school, I brought Emma to the doctor. I was so fired up about the appointment because I was anxious to find out her height and weight. The nurse called us back to the exam room and took Emma's measurements:
Height - 22 inches

Weight - 12 pounds 11 ounces

Percentages:
Height - 36%...meaning that 64% of babies her age are taller than she is.
Weight - 91%...meaning that only 9% of babies her age weigh more than she does!!! So, she's short and 'fluffy'...is anyone REALLY surprised?! :)


Then, after taking her measurements, the nurse says, "Okay, so you know today is a shot day, right?" Uh...yeah...sure...I mean, what kind of mother doesn't know what's going to happen to her baby at her 2 month check up? ESPECIALLY when it's a 'shot day'!


So, not only was it a shot day, but apparently it was going to be a 4 SHOT DAY! I wanted to die. I usually have time to brace myself for these days, but not today. Then, right before the nurse comes in, Jay shows up. Now, many of you already know this about Jay, but he can be a little on the sensitive side at times (Kim and Michelle...remember the episode of ER when Mark Green died???). Well, when it comes to his babies, nothing gets the waterworks flowing like one of them in pain. As soon as I told him she was getting 4 shots, his face dropped. I think he may have started getting watery-eyed at that very moment. The nurse came in and quickly gave Emma the 4 shots, but as far as we were concerned (and I'm sure Emma, too), it wasn't fast enough. Poor little thing! She was SCREAMING and I felt so bad for her. As soon as the nurse was finished, Jay ran over and picked her up to comfort her. It was so sweet to see the two of them shedding little tears! :) I know it may seem like I'm poking fun at Jay, but in all honesty, I am so thankful to have a hubby that is so sweet. Plus, he can shut off the tears just as quickly as he turns them on. If it were me, I'd still be crying right now!

All in all, the doctor said she looks great and is doing really well. He also informed me that breastfed babies usually don't start sleeping through the night until they are 6 months old. Being that she's only waking up once in the night, I think I can manage!

post signature

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Yea! She (and Jay) survived the shots and you got an excellent report! That is wonderful! Your story is too funny though, I was laughing out loud! Just a warning, they get shots at every appt. until their like 2! :)