Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Jay'll Be Home for Christmas Eve

In my last post, I talked about all the things we do to celebrate Christmas with our family in Thibodaux. I also mentioned how we've tried to carry on those traditions here, but we've also tried to start some traditions of our own.

We don't open gifts on Christmas Eve, but we still like to get together for dinner and to hang out. This year, we were all going to go to Christmas Eve mass at 3:00 this afternoon and then head over to my parents' house for dinner and 'family game night'.

Well, this morning while Jay and I were out and about doing some VERY last minute Christmas shopping, he started feeling bad. He's had trouble in the past with kidney stones and over the past couple weeks had mentioned that he thought he felt like he was starting to have trouble again.

Of course, you can never pick if/when you're going to get sick, but tonight was DEFINITELY not the best night. I had visions of us missing Emma's first Christmas and missing Truett's reactions to everything, etc... Not to mention that I'd be spending Christmas Eve in the hospital, just watching Jay sleep. The whole vision was just horrible and not something Jay and I were looking forward to.

Anyway, we finished up our shopping and headed home. I could tell Jay wasn't feeling well and kept telling him to let me know if he needed to go to the hospital. He got in a hot bath and stayed there for about 2 hours, bending over in pain. He had taken some pain medication from the last time he had passed a kidney stone and got into bed.

Jay's parents came over and picked up Truett so Jay could get some rest and I took Emma with me to mass. After mass was over, I found I had a message on my phone from Jay saying he was headed to the hospital!

Truett was home napping with Ms. Lynda and Mr. James had driven Jay to the hospital. So, I headed to the hospital with Emma (it was time for her to eat) and my parents headed to my house to pick up Truett and Jay's mom.

When I got to the hospital, they had already given Jay something for the pain and had done a CAT scan to see what was going on. They found that he did have a kidney stone that was trying to make its way out.

They prescribed him some medication to help speed up the process and we were sent HOME! YAY!

When we got in the car, Jay said, "What are your parents having for dinner?" THAT'S MY BOY! :)

So, with Jay now feeling like a new man, we headed over to my parents' house. Emily and Sarah had taken charge of the dinner and made Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas...DELICIOUS! Unfortunately for them, they were so good that we've now nominated them as the official chefs on Christmas Eves to come! :)

After dinner, Jay and my dad played SEVERAL rounds of Wii Golf and Emily, Sarah, my mom, John, Heather, and occassionally Truett all played Apples to Apples. It really was such a great night. I didn't have my camera, so there are no pictures of us at Mom's house, but I thought I'd post some pics from the night before. Perhaps all the craziness from last night led up to Jay going to the hospital! :) haahah!
Because we had the pageant the night before, my mom had her box of costumes out. As you can see from the pictures, no one had a problem finding something to wear. Truett had a blast dancing with everyone!
Even Emma got in on the action!
Jay and I headed home with our babies. We put Emma down and then Truett and I set out the cookies Truett and I had made for Santa earlier today. Truett went and got in his bed and Jay and I got ready for Santa's visit. Santa ate the cookies and drank the milk, and also left a note for Truett and Emma before setting out their gifts.
Santa's letter
Truett's pile of gifts
Emma's smaller pile of gifts
Nugget's PITIFUL 'not even a pile' of gifts
Given the circumstances, it was truly a wonderful Christmas Eve, especially since Santa did not have to take a detour to deliver our gifts to the hospital! :)

post signature

No comments: