Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sweet Tooth

Truett went to the dentist this afternoon so she could look at his teeth and assess the damage from his fall. We were in the waiting room for about 10 minutes when one of the dental assistants came and called Truett's name. She and I talked for a minute and then she asked Truett if she could look at his teeth. To my surprise, he immediately flashed her a huge smile to show off his 'pearly whites'.

She asked how old he was and when I told her 2 1/2, she asked if I wanted to try to see if he'd go to the back without me going with him. Since he started going to the dentist, I've always gone to the back with him, and I thought for sure he'd want me there. I mean, I'm his MOM. I gave BIRTH to him. Of COURSE he'd want me to be there to comfort him and hold his hand while they check him out. So, I asked him, "Truett, do you want to go in the back with Dr. Rozas by yourself and Mama will stay here and wait for you?" Truett's response? "SURE!!!" Really?

So, I stayed in the waiting room and watched my big boy almost skip to the back without me. I mean, he could have at least ACTED like he was a little worried to go without me. A few minutes later, the dental assistant came back out to let me know they were finished and that he had done a great job. She said when they were finished taking pictures of his teeth, she told him that he could go and choose a prize. Then Truett said, "That's a GREAT idea!"

Anyway, the dentist said that he did a pretty good number on his teeth, but that things should be okay. His front, right tooth and the 2 teeth to the right of it are a little loose, but she said they should tighten up with a little time. She said that they will be sore because they are bruised pretty badly but that he should be okay. She just said to keep an eye on his gums to make sure that an absess (not sure of the spelling) doesn't develop. If it does, then they would have to remove the tooth/teeth.

So, it looks like Truett will have his two front teeth for Christmas, which is good for him, considering the only things he's said he wants from Santa are toys and CANDY!


post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have actually had nightmares about Ava loosing her teeth!! Your a brave mom and I am happy Truett will not be meeting the Tooth Fairy soon.

Summer said...

I am so glad that Truett's teeth will be fine. He is such a big boy going back to the dentist by himself. I am a bad mom- Emerson hasn't even been to the dentist yet!
It really is crazy how fast they become independent. First the dentist, then school, then marriage...
:)