Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Take Your Son to Work and Little Johnny Jones

I woke up the other morning and heard Jay ask Truett if he wanted to go to work with him. I thought Jay was just going to take him to McDonald's for breakfast and to meet PaPaw and the other men for coffee. To my surprise, Jay said he was taking Truett for the day! Truett was fired up to go and was excited about putting on his work uniform. His Papa was so proud!

Little Johnny Jones
So, my grandpa's name was Johnny Jones. Truett is actually named after him (JOHN Truett). Anyway, a short time after my grandpa died, someone in my family (possibly my mom?) came across this black musician whose name was 'Little Johnny Jones'. A little while after THAT, my mom found this statue of a little black boy sitting on the edge of something, fishing. She bought it and he sits on the edge of her pool in her backyard. We have since named him 'Little Johnny Jones'.
This past weekend, we were over at my mom's house swimming and Truett decided to go fishing with Little Johnny Jones. He sat next to him and fished for a few minutes. I had to get pictures because although the statue (OBVIOUSLY) looks nothing like my grandpa did, the sentiment behind the statue and what he represents, in a way, was like having Truett fishing with my grandpa.

post signature

No comments: