Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Papa's Day....uh....Weekend!


We actually had 3 celebrations so our weekend was pretty busy! Jay and Truett picked out the gifts while Emma and I chose the Father's Day cards.

We started on Saturday, meeting for lunch and celebrating with Jay's dad (PaPaw). Truett was very proud of the flashlight he had chosen specifically for PaPaw. :) I'd say we enjoyed a nice, quiet lunch, but who am I kidding, right?? The food was good and the company was great, so it was definitely a success! :)

After lunch, we headed to my mom's where an impromptu 'mini-celebration' took place. Truett was so excited about giving his gifts to Uncle John (who is also Truett's Godfather) and my dad (PaGou) that we decided to let them get to opening. I always love seeing what Truett picks out as gifts and his reasons behind his choices. My brother plays baseball, so among his gifts was a package of Big League Chew bubblegum and a baseball bat-shaped container of sunflower seeds. :)

After leaving my mom's house, we thought we'd try something different for dinner, and chose to take the kids to a Hibachi grill. Yeah, well, now I know WHY we don't do 'different' more often! Let's just say that Hibachi grills, summer time temperatures and hungry kids DO NOT go together. :)

Sunday morning, we woke up, and gave Papa his gifts (gift cards to Home Depot and Bass Pro Shop) and cards. I was actually able to find a Father's Day card for Papas instead of Dads or Fathers. Jay was pretty excited, and so was I. I told MY dad to hold out....I just know that some time soon, there will be cards for PaGous! hahahaah!

Anyway, we had a pretty relaxing morning and after running a few errands, headed to Fuddrucker's for lunch. 
 
Emma and Truett turning in their 'free cookie' coupon after finishing their lunch.  I love how Emma is focused on the display of treats!  hahahah!
And since Fuddrucker's is in the same parking lot as Bass Pro, we stopped in for some shopping.
There is a free, electronic shooting range in the store, so Truett tested out his shooting skills....just like his Papa!
Emma, on the other hand, was not interested in the guns at all, and was much more content testing out her driving skills....just like her Mama!  hahaha!
While the kids were playing, Jay found the perfect Father's Day gift....
Unfortunately for Jay, the gift card we gave him did not cover the full cost of the boat, so he opted for a pocket knife instead. :)
After our 'big purchase', we headed home for NAPS! Actually, Jay and Emma napped while Truett and I made our Father's Day brownies. I found the recipe in a magazine and thought it was so cute, so I had to try it out. I think they turned out great and they were really good, too!
Once the nappers were up, we headed over to my mom's house for some Father's Day grilling and swimming. Truett and Emma LOVE swimming and being in the pool.

Truett showing off some of his new pool tricks...back flips and being able to reach the bottom of the pool.
Emma probably loves EATING by the pool more than she loves swimming, but she does enjoy swimming and splashing around, too. :)
Sarah hanging by the pool

Dinner was delicious and the brownies and my mom's homemade peach icecream were both big hits with little miss you-know-who!
After dinner, the rest of the family gave PaGou his gifts and cards.
It was a wonderful weekend. I'm so glad someone designated days for us to stop, thank, appreciate and honor the people we love so much. I'm sure none of us do it enough on a daily basis, so it's nice to really focus on our loved ones on their 'special' day.

Mr. James-
Thank you for being such an amazing role model for Jay. You instilled in Jay the qualities that I love most about him. You showed him how to be a family man, a hard-working man, a God-fearing man and a man of integrity. I am so blessed to have you as a father-in-law and as a PaPaw to our kids. We all love you very much!

Dan-
Thank you so much for loving me, providing for me and supporting me when I was growing up and even now, as an adult. I can't even imagine how different my life would be had I not had you as a father figure. Thank you for loving Mom in such a way that made me set higher standards for the man I would marry. Thank you for loving me in such a way that made me set high standards for the man I would want to be a father for my children. I love you so much and am so blessed to have you as a dad!

Jay-
You and I have both had strong male role models in our life who have set the bar really high when it comes to being a great dad. You have definitely exceeded those expectations and have proved to be an amazing Papa. I love the Truett decides what to wear based on what you're wearing. I love hearing him, throughout the day say, "Papa is gonna LOVE this!" I love when he says the blessing before dinner and asks God to "bring Papa home safe". I love the way Emma stops what she's doing, jumps up and runs through the living room yelling, "PAPA! PAPA!" when she hears the door open. I love when she sings I Love Candy and repeats, "I-I-I-I-I love Papa!" over and over again. Thank you for all you do and all you are. You are our world and are blessed to have you in ours! WE LOVE YOU! Happy Papa's Day!

post signature

No comments: