Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Emma's Room

Here are some pictures of Emma's room. I posted some in a previous blog, but it was before her room was finished. I thought I'd post pics of her room now. It turned out to be such a sweet and sassy little girl's room. I really love it!

This is the name plate that hangs on the outside of her bedroom door. My aunt, Fran, sent it to me a few weeks ago. It was the perfect touch!

These are the paintings that my sister, Emily (Emma's godmother) painted for Emma's room. I had seen these paintings at Pottery Barn Kids when I bought Emma's bedding and thought they were so great. When I showed them to Emily, she said she thought she could paint them. They look EXACTLY like the originals and turned out so great!
I should've taken a better picture to show of these sweet little dresses...perhaps another time, another post! :) Anyway, my mom 'gave' (a.k.a. 'let me use') these dresses to make a valence over Emma's bedroom window. They have been in our family for over 60 years...not like anything you'd find in stores today. They are such a sweet, sentimental and personal touch in her room.
Here's a little better shot of the dresses.
Here are some shots of the individual paintings Emily did. I just love them so much and am so proud of Emily for doing such a great job...have to show them off!


This is the wall in Emma's room, opposite the wall with the paintings.


The corner piece and the little rocking chair are pieces that my mom bought for me when I was a baby. They were also in Truett's room, but were 'passed down' to Emma. We stained them the darker color to match the rest of Emma's room. The wall is one of my favorite parts of Emma's room. Her bedding is white with pink stitching. When I decorated Truett's nursery, I did something similiar (his bedding was striped, so on the one, big wall, I painted wide, vertical stripes and kept the remaining walls pretty simple). If I could paint all of the rooms in my house this way, I would. I think it's a great way to get away with doing something bold without it being overwhelming. (I'm cracking up at myself typing this because I sound like I work for the DIY network!) Anyway, I love the wall!

Of course, what would a nursery be without a little monogramming???? This quilt rack was something that Jay built in woodshop when he was in highschool. He originally made it for his grandmother and got it back when she passed away a few years ago. It matched perfectly with the corner piece and rocker that my mom had bought for me, and was also passed on from Truett to Emma.So, I used to say that I wasn't a 'pink' person, but I think it's safe to say that ever since I found out Emma was an 'Emma', I have acquired a definite taste for any and all things pink. The scary thing is that I have a feeling once I've grown out of my 'pink phase', Emma will just be picking up the addiction! :)

post signature

2 comments:

Brittney said...

I love Emma's room and really love the idea of using those dresses! It turned out adorable!!!

Shelley said...

Emma's room is precious! I am SO impressed by Emily's paintings! They are awesome, she is really talented! I may have to hire her out! :) By the way, I felt the same way about pink! I did Liv's nursery in purple and green, not wanting to do the traditional pink. But finally succumbed in her "big" girl room, and I love it!